History

In 1965 Godel Wroby joined his brother-in-law, David Burd, in Eatmore Poultry Pty Ltd, a business David had purchased a few years earlier but had its beginnings in the early 1940's.

Both David and Godel had survived the Holocaust in Europe, and arrived in Australia in the early 1950s.

Initally, the business was only focused on serving kosher poultry to the Melbourne Jewish community.

After Godel joined the business, David established another division to supply poultry to the wider market, leaving Godel to focus primarily on the kosher food operation which became known as Eatmore Kosher Poultry.

Eatmore Kosher Poultry operated out of Acland Street, St Kilda through the 60s, 70s 80s until 1994. Acland Street was the hub of Jewish life in Melbourne for many decades, particularly for those who had survived the Holocaust and established a life in Melbourne.

In 1994 Eatmore re branded to Solomon Kosher Butcher and moved to its current location in Elsternwick, expanding its kosher food range to include red meat and smallgoods.

In 1997 Solomon Kosher Butcher acquired and merged Chedwa Kosher Butcher into the business. Since then, Solomon's has proudly produced its Kosher food in under the supervision of the Chabad Kashrut Committee.

Godel continued to work in the business until his 80th birthday, where he could be found in the kitchen and interacting with the customers he had served and loved for many decades.

Solomon's is now run by the third generation of the family, with the business proudly supplying Jewish communities throughout Australia, the Pacific and Asia.